Aluminium casement doors and windows: technical performance designed to protect the environment
The environmental issue is at the core of today's and tomorrow's challenges facing our society. Although the pollution caused by transport or intensive agriculture is frequently mentioned, one of the most commonly overlooked sectors is the construction sector, which is a major CO2 emitter. This is as a result of manufacturing of the construction materials as well as the energy required throughout the life of the building for heating or air conditioning. However, there are solutions to reduce the environmental and climatic footprint of buildings, both during construction and while living in them. This requires first and foremost an appropriate choice of building materials. Aluminium casement doors and windows stand out naturally as an eco-friendly alternative.
Aluminium: a sustainable and recyclable material
Industrial manufacturing is a major contributor to pollution and CO2 emissions. It is therefore only logical that the materials that have the least negative impact on the environment are those that last the longest. Fortunately, aluminium leads the way when it comes to sustainable and recyclable materials.
Aluminium alloys have stood the test of time
Aluminium is well known for its incredible resistance thanks to its unique chemical and physical properties. Although aluminium alloys are very light, they do not deform even under the harshest environmental conditions. Aluminium is also hardly susceptible to natural corrosion. Thus, it retains its fresh look even after decades of use, whether in humid, cold or very hot environments. As a result, casement doors and windows made of aluminium will last for years without the need for major renovation or repairs.
Moreover, the combined properties of aluminium and glass are such that only an occasional sponge bath is needed for the maintenance of aluminium casement doors and windows. .
A material that can be recycled over and over again
Energy consumption and CO2 emissions in the construction industry are largely due to the manufacturing process of raw materials such as cement, steel and aluminium. As such, ore extraction, smelters and electrolysis baths consume a lot of energy. As a leading designer and supplier of aluminium products, Installux optimises and constructs its own production and distribution flows in order to pursue a sustainable eco-system.
However, the special feature of aluminium is that it is fully recyclable! Whereas cement and steel deteriorate permanently over time, aluminium can be reused over and over again without loss of quality or properties.
Typically, the recycling process consumes 20 times less energy than does the initial manufacturing process. In some sectors such as transport or construction, the recycling rate can be as high as 95%. This is why the majority of the aluminium produced for more than a century is still in circulation today, in one form or another.
Aluminium casement doors and windows: energy-saving solutions
A house’s energy, environmental and climatic footprint is not just measured by the amount of materials it is made of. The efforts must be made on a daily basis. Fortunately, the excellent heat efficiency of custom-made aluminium casement doors and windows helps to optimise energy efficiency and thus contribute to a lower negative environmental impact.
Insulation, transparency, thermal break: the heat efficiency of aluminium casement doors and windows
The excellent heat efficiency of aluminium windows, sliding windows and conservatories is due to a combination of several factors:
- The lightness of the aluminium frames optimises the surface area of the glazing. This helps to maximise the contribution of light and solar heat.
- In addition, modern glazing has better insulation than conventional window frames. An optimised glazing surface improves the overall insulation of the casement doors and windows.
- Installux joinery systems incorporate thermal-break technologies that prevent heat loss to the outside of the house.
- Design quality also contributes to the efficiency. The choice of frames, whether double or triple glazing, the type of opening or the size of the sashes must be made meticulously to guarantee insulation and efficiency.
- The quality of the casement doors and windows installation is also essential. It is important to adjust the direction and layout of the casement doors and windows and to ensure that it is airtight.
Aluminium casement doors and windows: an economical and eco-friendly option for the long term
Successful design of your casement doors and windows is inextricably linked to good heat efficiency. This reduces the use of heating in winter and air-conditioning in summer, thus making significant savings in energy costs.
Aluminium casement doors and windows is an immediate solution compatible with low-energy buildings and in line with the challenges of bioclimatic houses. Thanks to the durability of aluminium structures, it is also easy to evaluate the energy savings that can be achieved over the long term.
Reduce environmental pollution by using aluminium casement doors and windows on a daily basis.
Despite the major climatic and environmental challenges, aluminium casement doors and windows helps to make homes healthier every day:
- In general, the maintenance of aluminium fittings only requires the use of a damp sponge. This prevents the use of detergents or aerosols that can pollute the air and soil in and around the house.
- Aluminium does not break, crumble or chip over the long-term. In addition, it is an element that is abundantly present in its natural state. Unlike PVC windows, there is no risk of spilling plastic micro-fragments into the environment.
- Furthermore, aluminium does not give off any smoke or toxic substances even when subjected to extreme heat or flames. Since most fire accidents are caused by toxic substances, aluminium on the other hand contributes to a healthier and more reliable home.
In this way, aluminium casement doors and windows perfectly address the environmental requirements of both private individuals and companies. Windows, conservatories and bay windows designed by Installux are made from sustainable and recyclable materials. Artisan manufacturers use them to help reduce the energy consumption of buildings and contribute to ensuring a healthy environment for those who live in those buildings.